By the time Karl Barth–the modern theological giant–started on IV.1, twenty-one years has past since the inaugural of his preeminent Church Dogmatics I.1. Within 21 years, Barth has already written over 6,000 pages (excluding his other works). Therefore, when one reads IV.1, one meets with a mature Barth–the fiery furies might not be as explosive or frequent (e.g., Epistle to the Romans) but his flames burn brighter and, even, more acutely. IV.1 is Christological theology at one of its best. Therefore, it’s no wonder IV.1 is polled, tied with II.2, as the favorite amongst CD readers and lovers (http://postbarthian.com/2015/07/20/most-popular-volumes-of-karl-barths-church-dogmatics/).
Though this student edition volume is only the first half of IV.1 (stops after §59; IV.1 continues until the end of §63–another 450 pages), one can still grasp the scope and grandeur of Barth’s Doctrine of Reconciliation. Reconciliation is God’s choice in his freedom to restore his covenant with humanity through Israel (§57). Reconciliation is reconcilable because of the Reconciling One: Jesus Christ (§58). Reconciliation is the Judge judged (§59).
Note, these are oversimplified sketches of Barth’s thoroughly dive into reconciliation, atonement, crucifixion, and resurrection. In other words, just read him and mull over his words. Let this erudite theologian teach you the centrality of Jesus: the God-Man who has subsumed God’s No and is God’s (overwhelmingly loud) Yes for us.
Also, I have this particular Amazon reviewer’s (barryb) outline helpful:
1. Pp. 1-10 CONCEPT-HISTORY-GRACE
2. Pp. 10-20 CONCEPT-PROCLAMATION-CONCRETE-ACTUALITY
3. Pp. 20-30 COVENANT-DIATHEKE-TRINITARIAN-QUALIFICATION
4. Pp. 30-40 ATONEMENT-PRESUPPOSITIONS-CORRESPONDENCE
5. Pp. 40-75 FAITHFULNESS-DECISION-FULFILLMENT
6. Pp. 76-86 RECONCILIATION IN-ITSELF / OUT-OF-ITSELF/ RETURNING-TO-GODSELF
7. Pp. 87-117 JUSTIFICATION-CONVERSION-BEARING OF PROMISE
8. PP. 118-138 HUMILIATION-EXALTATION-SON OF GOD
9. PP. 138-158 FORMS OF SIN / APPROPRIATION OF GRACE/ VERDICT AND PROMISE
10. PP. 160-190 DEITY-DOXA-ACTUALIZED GLORY
11. Pp. 194-214 SUBSTANCE-SUBORDINATION-MAGNIFICATION
12. Pp. 216-236 JUDGE IN-HIMSELF / INCARNATE EMBRACING / MAGNIFYING GLORY
13. PP. 237-251 DISCLOSURE / TRUE-BEING / EXALTATION AS LIBERATION
14. PP. 251-276 FASTING IN WILDERNESS/ PRAYER OF AGONY / REPRESENTATION
15. PP. 277-297 CHRISTOLOGICAL SPHERE / ANTHROPOLOGICAL SPHERE / OUTWARD-ASPECT
16. PP. 303-323 ONE HISTORY / SEQUENCE / PAROUSIA COMMUNITY
17. PP. 324-350 HOPE / PAROUSIA / RECONCILING WORD OF JUDGEMENT